CIRIA terms and conditions
CIRIA is a member-based research association which aims to improve the performance of all concerned with construction and the built environment. The following Terms and Conditions govern your use of the CIRIA website (“ciria.org”) and all CIRIA associated websites (collectively referred to herein as “the CIRIA websites”) and your relationship with CIRIA ("we/us"). By using the CIRIA websites and/or using our products and services you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions. These Terms and Conditions may change without further notice to you and we recommend you check the Terms and Conditions when using CIRIA's websites, products and services.
All of the information included on the CIRIA websites and via products and services is intended for information purposes only and does not represent advice. We make no representations or warranties as to the accuracy of the information contained on the CIRIA websites and via products and services, and you should take appropriate precautions to verify it.
We cannot guarantee that the service will be fault free. If a fault occurs in the service we will attempt to correct the fault as soon as we reasonably can. Your access to CIRIA websites, product and services may be occasionally restricted to allow for system changes, repairs or maintenance.
When you register with us the details provided by you on registration or at any time are important. The registered user undertakes to ensure that they are correct and complete. You undertake to inform us immediately of any changes to the information you provided when registering by updating your personal details.
Password and Security
When you register to use one or more of the CIRIA websites you will be asked to create a password. You must keep this password confidential and must not disclose it or share it with anyone. Please note that you will be responsible for activities and orders that occur or are submitted using your password. If you know or suspect that someone else knows your password you should notify us immediately.
All content on the CIRIA websites, as well as products and services, is protected by copyright and other intellectual property and proprietary rights. You may use the CIRIA websites and display, download on any single computer or print a single copy of any material for your personal or professional use provided you do not further copy or modify the page including without limitation by removal of any copyright notices. You may not otherwise reproduce, copy, distribute or use any material on the CIRIA websites. Permanent copying and/or storage of material or reproduction or incorporation of any part of it in any other work in whatever media is expressly prohibited.
All rights reserved. No part of CIRIA publications, tools or content may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying and recording, without the written permission of the copyright holder, application for which should be addressed to the publisher. Such written permission must also be obtained before any part of this publication is stored in a retrieval system of any nature.
If you would like to reproduce any of the figures, text or technical
information from any CIRIA publication for use in other documents or
publications, please contact the Publishing Department for more details
on copyright terms and charges at: [email protected]
Goods and Services
Registered users of the CIRIA websites may be able to purchase goods and services such as publications and events from us. This should not be confused with the purchase of goods and services from third party sites which may be linked to the CIRIA websites (See Third Party Sites in these Terms and Conditions). Prices and availability of goods and services are subject to change. In the event that we are unable to supply you with the goods or services you will receive a full refund.
While we try and ensure that all prices on the CIRIA websites are accurate, errors may occur. If we discover an error we will inform you as soon as possible and give you the option of reconfirming your order at the correct price or cancelling it. If you cancel, and you have already paid for the goods or services, you will receive a full refund.
Specific terms and conditions may apply to certain purchases or uses of the website(s). Those specific terms and conditions are to be read as part of these Terms and Conditions. In relation to some uses you may have a statutory right to cancel goods or services within a certain period. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions excludes that statutory right.
Third Party Sites
The CIRIA websites contain links to third party resources on the web. We do not endorse, approve or sanction (unless otherwise stated) nor are we responsible for any third party's products, services, acts or omissions. There is no association or connection between us and the third party (unless otherwise stated) save for the provision of the link. We do not act in partnership with nor as agent for or on behalf of the third party to whom we provide links. Accordingly, neither party may incur any debt or liability on behalf of the other party.
While we endeavour to ensure that information on the CIRIA websites is correct, we will not be liable for any damages arising from the use or inability to use the CIRIA websites or from any information contained on them or from any action or decision taken as a result of using the CIRIA websites or any information contained on them.
To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law we disclaim liability for all implied or statutory warranties and conditions. To the maximum extent permitted by applicable law, in no event will we, nor our employees, affiliates, agents or other representatives, be liable for any special, indirect or consequential damages whatsoever including without limitation damages for loss of profits, loss of confidential or other information, business interruption arising from or in connection with the use of the CIRIA websites or otherwise in connection with the provision of goods and services under these Terms and Conditions. We do not exclude liability for death or personal injury.
Limitations of liability
We shall not be responsible to you in the event that we cannot provide the products or services to you due to an event beyond our reasonable control, which includes (but is not limited to) events such as, fire, flood, storm, strikes or other industrial action, failure of telecommunications services, war, riot, or the actions of any government or public body. In the event that we are prevented from providing the services by such an event, we will take all reasonable steps to try to reinstate the provision of the services to you as soon as is reasonably practicable.
In no event shall we be responsible to you for any loss of profit, loss of earnings, loss of anticipated savings, loss of revenue or loss of goodwill that you may suffer. Further, in no event shall we be liable to you for any indirect or consequential loss that you may suffer.
We are not responsible to you for any data that you lose as a result of accessing any of CIRIA’ products and services and associated materials. It is your responsibility to ensure that you regularly save and back up all data which you hold on the computer from which you are accessing the webinar and associated materials.
Except where the above applies, our maximum aggregate liability to you for any claim that you may have against us under or in connection with the provision by us to you of the products or services which is not otherwise excluded in these Terms (including without limitation where such claim arises as a direct result of any negligent technical advice provided by CIRIA shall be limited to the amount of the fee which has been paid or is payable by you or on your behalf.
We do not exclude liability for death or personal injury.
For orders made from within the UK, VAT will be charged at the appropriate rate on all purchases. UK VAT on books and digital publications is currently zero rated and therefore VAT is 0%. All Other items and services are charged at the standard rate which is currently 20%.
If you are based in an EU member state and you are purchasing a digital product (training, events, downloads) you need to provide your VAT number as without this we are unable to progress your order Please contact customer services if you require help with this.
Please note, the services and publications provided by CIRIA all originate in the UK. If you are an EU customer you may require this statement of origin.
Orders made for delivery to a business outside the UK are exempt from UK VAT so VAT will not be charged. If VAT charges do appear on your order , please ensure you select the ‘exempt’ option, so VAT is not charged.
You hereby represent and warrant that the information you have provided on the customer information or registration form when registering for a webinar is true and accurate.
You are entirely responsible for any and all activities that occur under your account, and you are responsible to oversee and protect against unauthorised or unlawful use of or access to the webinar. You shall notify CIRIA immediately of any unauthorised use of your account or any other breach of security.
You will indemnify and hold harmless CIRIA and its licensors or suppliers against any and all judgments, settlements, penalties, costs and expenses (including attorneys' fee) paid or incurred in connection with claims due to, resulting from, or arising in connection with your actions or negligence, including but not limited to those attributable to any breach of this agreement or any infringement, misappropriation or violation of any copyrights, intellectual property rights or other proprietary rights of any third party.
You may contact CIRIA during regular business hours (i.e. 9.00 am to 5.00pm Monday to Friday, excluding public holidays and the Christmas period when CIRIA will be closed) by email if you experience difficulties connecting to, or using the webinar for which you have paid the applicable fees. For all other queries, CIRIA will endeavour to respond within 3 working days of receipt, however, it may take longer during the weekends, public holidays and the Christmas period.
You hereby undertake, as a condition of use of the CIRIA websites to indemnify us against any loss or damage suffered by us as a result of any breach by you of any of these Terms and Conditions.
We may terminate your use of any or all of the CIRIA websites at any time without notice.
Rights of Third Parties
The agreement between us which is comprised of these Terms is not intended to be for the benefit of any third party, and shall not be exercisable by any other person under the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 or otherwise.
These general Terms and Conditions, and any Additional Terms, as detailed below, constitute the complete and exclusive statement of the terms of the agreement between you and CIRIA. It supersedes and replaces any previous or contemporaneous written or oral agreements, communications, products and services between you and CIRIA.
If for any reason a court of competent jurisdiction finds any provision of this Agreement, or portion thereof, to be unenforceable, that provision of the Agreement shall be enforced to the maximum extent permissible so as to effect the intent of the parties, and the remainder of this Agreement shall continue in full force and effect.
These Terms and Conditions and any disputes arising from or in connection with them shall be governed by the laws of England and the parties submit to the exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts. We do not make any promise that the materials on the CIRIA website and/or CIRIA associated websites are appropriate or available for use in locations outside the United Kingdom and using the CIRIA website and/or CIRIA associated websites from territories where its use or material or contents is unlawful is prohibited.
The CIRIA website and/or CIRIA associated websites are owned and operated by CIRIA. The registered office address for CIRIA is Griffin Court, 15 Long Lane, London EC1A 9PN UK.
Company Name: CIRIA
Registered Number: 790505
VAT Number: 240 1313 27
We can be reached by emailing [email protected] or by writing to the address above.
Events, Conferences and Training
Standard conditions applicable to all CIRIA events, conferences and training
- You will receive an automated email confirming receipt of your registration submission. Confirmation that a place has been booked for you will follow separately (please see below for further details).
- CIRIA reserves the right to alter the programme and to cancel the event in case of insufficient bookings. If CIRIA and or the associated delivery partner cancels the event, delegates will be advised immediately and registration fees refunded in full. Please note CIRIA cannot be held responsible for any travel and hotel cancellation charges.
- In the unlikely event you are unable to attend, please advise CIRIA’s events team as soon as possible. Your place may be offered to an alternative delegate.
- Any registration fee paid will not be refunded unless written confirmation of cancellation is received at least five working days before the event
- Substitute delegates are welcome, as long as you have notified us in advance of the event having begun.
- Where registration has been effected by supplying a company purchase order number (CIRIA members only in accordance with the conditions given below), invoices are payable within 30 days or by the event date whichever is the sooner. Failure to make payment by the due date may result in withdrawal of your registration.
- Registration will be secured on receipt of payment (CIRIA members may register using a company purchase order reference). VAT invoice/receipt will be issued on receipt of payment.
- Any registration fee paid will not be refunded unless written confirmation of cancellation is received at least ten working days before the event. Substitute delegates are welcome.
- For delegates already booked onto a training course and wishing to transfer to another course/date - an administration fee of £25 (CIRIA members) / £50 (non-members) per delegates will be payable for changes notified >10 working days from the booked course date. Any transfer request received in writing <10 working days before a booked course date will be considered as a cancellation. Substitute delegates are welcome.
- In the event that the Trainer or Facilitator is unable to present at the training and it is cancelled, your full ticket will be refunded. CIRIA will endeavour to re schedule the training and offer those delegates priority booking.
- CIRIA reserves the right to revise the course content as required.
- Minimum numbers are required for all open training courses. If numbers are low, delegates will be notified and offered a full refund or a transfer onto the next available date. CIRIA cannot be held liable for any travel, accommodation and related costs in the case of cancellation due to low numbers.
All rights, title, and interest (including all copyrights and other intellectual property rights) in the event or training course in both print and machine readable form belongs to CIRIA or its licensors or suppliers. You acquire no proprietary interest in the event or training course, associated materials or copies thereof.
Webinars and live classroom training
Standard conditions are applicable to all CIRIA webinars and live classrooms. In addition:
- Enrolment on any webinar course is solely for the use of the individual who has enrolled.
- Users are granted a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license to access and use a specific webinar for which the applicable fees, if any, have been paid, for a period of three months from enrolment.
- You are granted a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license to download, view and print associated materials from the webinar for your own, individual use. You may not copy, distribute or otherwise share webinar materials including video recordings, slide presentations and handouts without prior written consent of CIRIA.
- Webinars and live classrooms are currently hosted on Zoom or GoToWebinar, this is subject to change as required by the business, and in line with security and data protection requirements.
The webinar or training is licensed to only you. In no event can you share your login, password or use of the webinar with another person, or transfer, rent, sell, or otherwise dispose of the webinar on a temporary or permanent basis without the prior written consent of CIRIA.
Access to the webinar or live classroom training will only be granted once payment is received in full by CIRIA.
Ownership of webinars
All rights, title, and interest (including all copyrights and other intellectual property rights) in the webinar / training in both print and machine readable form belongs to CIRIA or its licensors or suppliers. You acquire no proprietary interest in the webinar, associated materials or copies thereof.
Online Learning Courses
Standard conditions are applicable to all CIRIA Online Learning Courses. In addition:
- Enrolment on the course is solely for the use of the individual who has enrolled.
- Users are granted a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license to access and use a specific Online Training course for which the applicable fees, if any, have been paid for a period of time specified at enrolment.
- You are granted a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license to download and access materials from the Online Training course for your own, individual use. You may not copy, distribute or otherwise share Online Training course materials including video recordings, slide presentations and handouts without prior written consent of CIRIA.
The Online learning course is licensed to you only. In no event may you share your login, password or use Online learning course with another person, or transfer, rent, sell, or otherwise dispose of the Online training course on a temporary or permanent basis without the prior written consent of CIRIA.
Access to the Online Learning Course will only be granted once payment is received in full by CIRIA.
Access to e training materials
Once payment has been received by CIRIA, you will need to register as a user and enrol on the course. Please note that once you have entered the ‘enrolment key’, you will have access to the course material for a period specified for the course you have purchased.
In exceptional circumstances, we are able to grant an extension to the access period for the purchased course by contacting us in writing at [email protected]
Ownership of Online Learning courses
All right, title, and interest (including all copyrights and other intellectual property rights) in the Online Training course in both print and machine readable form belongs to CIRIA or its licensors or suppliers. You acquire no proprietary interest in the Online Training course, associated materials or copies thereof.
Please note that the CIRIA will be able to provide support only for the following issues:
• Access & enrolment issues
- Registration of the application is solely for the use of the individual who has registered for it/the allocated user if purchased in bulk.
- Users are granted a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license to access and use a specific mobile application for which the applicable fees, if any, have been paid for a period specified at purchase.
- Bulk purchase buyers are responsible for ensuring users relinquish use of the application to enable them to continue using valid licences.
- You are granted a non-exclusive, non-transferable, limited license to download and access materials from the mobile application for your own, individual use. You may not copy, distribute, or otherwise share materials including video recordings, slide presentations without prior written consent of CIRIA.
The mobile application is licensed to you only. In no event may you share your login, password or use the application with another person, or transfer, rent, sell, or otherwise dispose of the application on a temporary or permanent basis without the prior written consent of CIRIA, the licence reverts to employer should you leave their employ, it is not to be shared.
Access to the mobile application will only be granted within 3 working days on receipt of payment in full. However, it may take longer during the weekends, public holidays and the Christmas period.
Access to the mobile application materials
Once payment has been received by CIRIA, you will need to download and register as a user. Please note that once you have received confirmation that your purchase has been processed, you will have access to the application only for the period specified at purchase (usually one year).
Ownership of mobile applications
All right, title, and interest (including all copyrights and other intellectual property rights) in the mobile application in both print and machine-readable form belongs to CIRIA or its licensors or suppliers. You acquire no proprietary interest in the mobile application or copies thereof.
Please note that the CIRIA will be able to provide support only for the following issues:
• Access & enrolment issues
- CIRIA represents and warrants that it has the right and authority to make the mobile application available to you.
- While CIRIA endeavours to make access to the mobile application available to you 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, except for regularly scheduled downtime periods. CIRIA reserves the right to occasionally change its availability policy, and CIRIA does not warrant that mobile application will be uninterrupted, nor does it warrant any feature of the mobile application. CIRIA personnel are available to maintain and/or repair the mobile application only during regular business hours.
- Except as otherwise provided in the Limited Warranty, the mobile application and any services provided in connection therewith are provided on an "as is" and "as available" basis and CIRIA and its licensors and suppliers expressly disclaim all other warranties of any kind, express or implied, including the implied warranties of fitness for a particular purpose and merchantability. No oral or written information or advice given by CIRIA, its dealers, distributors, agents, or employees shall create a warranty, and you may not rely upon such information or advice.
Mobile Application and online tool Disclaimer
CIRIA applications and tools are designed to provide accurate and authoritative information on the subject matter covered. It is sold and/or distributed with the understanding that neither the authors nor the publisher is thereby engaged in rendering a specific legal or any other professional service. While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the publication, no warranty or fitness is provided or implied, and the authors and publisher shall have neither liability nor responsibility to any person or entity with respect to any loss or damage arising from its use.
Shipping and Handling
In the UK, 'Express' is Special Delivery and 'Standard' is First Class. Outside the UK, all orders are sent by Airmail. For courier delivery contact customer services. Publications are normally sent by First Class post for delivery to UK addresses and by airmail to non-UK addresses. You will be charged for postage and packaging and the postal charges will be clearly displayed at the checkout stage.
You can expect to receive orders within 7 to 10 days within the UK and Europe, and within 2 to 3 weeks elsewhere. We will use all reasonable endeavours to secure delivery but shall be under no liability for loss occasioned by delay in delivery arising out of any cause beyond our control. If the goods are not delivered within 1 month in the UK or 2 months abroad, you shall be entitled to cancel the contract and we shall repay any monies paid.
Orders for publications produced by other publishers
CIRIA will process payment of all orders received and contact the relevant publisher to arrange for the despatch of the item(s) ordered. We are unable to offer any guarantees regarding the method of despatch used by the publisher or their delivery schedule.
A full refund (excluding postage and packaging charges) will be given on any returned publications provided they are returned within two weeks of receipt in saleable condition.
CIRIA publications are designed to provide accurate and authoritative information on the subject matter covered. It is sold and/or distributed with the understanding that neither the authors nor the publisher is thereby engaged in rendering a specific legal or any other professional service. While every effort has been made to ensure the accuracy and completeness of the publication, no warranty or fitness is provided or implied, and the authors and publisher shall have neither liability nor responsibility to any person or entity
with respect to any loss or damage arising from its use.
All rights reserved. No part of CIRIA publications may be reproduced or transmitted in any form or by any means, including photocopying and recording, without the written permission of the copyright holder, application for which should be addressed to the publisher. Such written permission must also be obtained before any part of this publication is stored in a retrieval system of any nature.
If you would like to reproduce any of the figures, text or technical information from any CIRIA publication for use in other documents or publications, please contact the Publishing Department for more details on copyright terms and charges at: [email protected]
Where permission is given to reproduce material from CIRIA guidance in documents – whether for scientific, commercial or any other purpose, CIRIA is not in a position to endorse such documents or any service or product to which they relate especially where sections of our guidance are reproduced without reference to the full context in which they appear in our guides. Users of such documents should refer to the source CIRIA guide to ensure that the context of the material in the original guide, including any qualifying or limiting statements are fully understood.
These Terms & Conditions were updated on 28 February 2023.