BIG Biodiversity Challenge Awards 2023
Join us for an afternoon of celebration as we commemorate 10 years of the BIG Biodiversity Challenge surrounded by the botanic gardens at Kew. We will recognise inspiring projects and the people delivering biodiversity enhancements in the built environment.
New date announced
Following the postponement of last month’s BIG Biodiversity Challenge Awards, we are delighted to confirm we have rescheduled the event. The awards ceremony will now take place on Wednesday 15 November 2023 from 12:30 – 18:00 at the Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew. As before, it will be held in the Nash Conservatory, and the agenda for the day remains the same. We look forward to celebrating the industry’s biodiversity achievements very soon.
- This event has been rescheduled from Wednesday 20 September 2023.
- Individuals who originally registered to attend are guaranteed a like-for-like transfer or can nominate a colleague to attend in their place.
- Registration is currently closed as we have reached capacity.
- We will notify attendees who have expressed interest in attending the event if any places subsequently become available.
- Please contact Susan Richards if you have any queries.
After careful deliberation, our judging panel has chosen the finalists for this year's Challenge from more than 60 entries across 10 awards categories.
This year's BIG Biodiversity Challenge winners will be revealed at the globally renowned Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew, on 20 September. Find out which project will receive the coveted Overall Winner and who will be crowned Biodiversity Champions.
- Available now - Early bird tickets on sale
- 19 August 2023 - Regular tickets on sale
- 8 September 2023 - Ticket sales close
The BIG Biodiversity Challenge is an initiative which aims to raise awareness of the need for biodiversity to become a key component within the construction and development industry, ensuring it becomes an integrated part of planning and projects.
Now in its tenth year, the Challenge is the number one industry initiative for raising awareness of and delivering biodiversity within construction and the built environment. Since its launch in 2013, the Challenge continues to demonstrate that, year on year, the industry excels in going that extra mile to “do one thing” to enhance biodiversity.
A CIRIA Biodiversity Community of Practice event sponsored by:
The BIG Biodiversity Challenge and Awards are steered by our Biodiversity Community of Practice (CoP). The CoP aims to provide a knowledge platform for biodiversity practitioners and grow support for the implementation of biodiversity net gain principles within the construction industry. This network of academia, private and public entities provides thought leadership which could lead to key guidance resources for the built environment. For more information, please contact Adrien Baudrimont.
- Balfour Beatty
- BAM Nuttall
- Cormac Solutions Ltd
- Ecology & Habitat Management (EHM)
- J. Murphy & Sons Ltd
- Trust Green
- Vertical Meadow
- Wildflower Turf
- Showcase leading practice from the BIG Biodiversity Challenge Awards entries and winners.
- Raise awareness of the importance of protecting and enhancing biodiversity in construction.
- Gain inspiration to replicate award-winning biodiversity improvement ideas.
- Demonstrate your organisation's commitment to protecting and enhancing biodiversity.
- Learn from leading industry experts.
Who should attend
Architects, clients, consultants, contractors, developers, house builders, local authorities, planners and master planners, regulators, ecologists, landscape architects, and anyone with an interest in the environment and biodiversity.
12:30 Guided tour of Kew Gardens
13:45 Welcome reception in the Nash Conservatory
14:45 Welcome and introduction
Dirk Vennix, Chief Executive, CIRIA
Adrien Baudrimont, Research Manager, CIRIA
15:00 Keynote addresses
Sadia Moeed, Area Director East Anglia, Environment Agency
Jackie Sharp, Interim Head of Policy and Technical, Landscape Institute
Merlin Hanbury-Tenison, Managing Director, Thousand Year Trust
15:45 Big Biodiversity Challenge Awards 2023
Master of Ceremonies: Gary Grant, Technical Director,
The Green Infrastructure Consultancy
16:45 Awards party
Smart-casual business attire (comfortable footwear for the tour)
Wednesday 15 November 2023
12:45 – 18:00
Royal Botanic Gardens, Kew
The nearest entrance is Elizabeth Gate (see map).
What's included in the ticket price?
- Complimentary access to Kew Gardens all day
- A guided tour of Kew Gardens
- Welcome reception in the Nash Conservatory
- Buffet reception with drinks
- Post-awards garden party
Until 18 August 2023
From 19 August 2023
|BIG Biodiversity Challenge entrants and CIRIA members
||£120 + VAT
||£145 + VAT
||£145 + VAT
||£170 + VAT
Please sign in or create an account to register online for this event.
If you are experiencing issues registering online, please complete and return the booking form to Charlotte Draper.
Alternatively please contact us on 07933 181 765 or email our Customer Services team.
Notice for new bookings from EU/EEA customers only.
CIRIA is currently unable to directly process your transaction if you are purchasing from the EU/EEA region. If you wish to book onto this event please email your request to [email protected] and we will respond in the first instance.
Terms and Conditions
Click here for details of our terms and conditions that will apply.
For further information on CIRIA membership and other services, please contact:
Telephone: 07933 181 765
Email: [email protected]