Registration for this event has now closed.
Notice for new bookings from EU/EEA customers only.
CIRIA is currently unable to directly process your transaction if you are purchasing from the EU/EEA region. If you wish to book onto this event please email your request to email@example.com and we will respond in the first instance.
Hazardous ground gases are a problem in the UK, where residential buildings have an average lifespan of more than 100 years. Some buildings may not have adequate gas protection measures in place, while those that do can find that the effectiveness of their gas mitigation measures has been diminished by increasing rainfall and severe weather events.
This webinar will provide an overview of CIRIA’s new guidance Retrofitting hazardous ground gas protection measures in existing or refurbished buildings (C795). Expert speakers will discuss how the risk assessment process should be carried out to determine the scope of the process, as well as the main principles, pros and cons of various gas protection measures for ground works and basements.
Click here to purchase a copy of the new guidance.
CIRIA has also launched two new CPD training courses on ground gas protection measures: click the links for more information.
- Learn how risk should be assessed for different types buildings including basements
- Understand the pros and cons of ventilation, sealing of preferential migration pathways, membranes and sub-slab works in ground works
- Hear how other building performance requirements, such as water and damp penetration, condensation, fire resistance, structural performance, and disabled access, should be considered as part of the retrofit design
- Discover how verification should be carried out
- Master how to select the appropriate gas protection measures for your building projects
Who should attend
- Ground gas specialists
- Local authorities
- EA, SEPA, NRW, NIEA
Thursday 14 January 2020
14:30 - 15:30
14:30 Welcome and introduction
Joanne Kwan, Project Manager, CIRIA
14:45 Retrofitting ground gas protection measures – how can CIRIA’s new guidance
Hugh Mallett, Technical Director, Buro Happald and
Steve Wilson, Technical Director, EPG
15:05 Interactive discussion and Q&A
15:25 Closing remarks
CIRIA members Free
Non-members £35 + VAT
Please sign in or create an account to register for this event.
The link to attend the webinar is strictly personal and should not be shared.
If you are experiencing issues registering for this event online please contact us on
020 7549 3300 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Joining instructions will be sent 10 days before the event.
Terms and Conditions
Click here for details of our terms and conditions that will apply.
For further information on CIRIA membership and other services, please contact: