SuDS and surface water: the 'retro' trend for green recovery
Discover the importance of retrofit SuDS and good practice in achieving them at this susdrain webinar.
Retrofit projects are gaining traction. Since CIRIA’s guidance on Retrofitting to manage surface water (C713F) was published in 2012, there have been many new initiatives, evidenced in part by those submitted to the susdrain SuDS Awards.
Wavin’s blog from December 2022 discusses the opportunities and challenges faced.
As we in the UK recover from COVID and consider improving our environment, we can share our experiences and lessons learned with others.
Ofwat, in collaboration with Defra, the Environment Agency, the Drinking Water Inspectorate, and the Consumer Council for Water, has supported water companies to deliver a more resilient, greener and healthier future. As part of this, Severn Trent Water is investing £76 million in Mansfield on a range of nature-based solutions to protect communities from flooding.
Now that SuDS will soon be required in all new development, we must not forget that existing infrastructure also needs attention for flood risk management as well as for the multiple benefits that can be achieved.
At this webinar we will hear about:
- the importance of retrofit surface water management
- retrofitting nature-based solutions in Mansfield.
- the need for community engagement in retrofit projects
- surface water management in Ukraine and how the lessons learned in UK can help
For information about sponsorship opportunities, please contact Susan Richards.
Who should attend
- Discover what is driving nature-based investment in the public realm
- Understand the nuances of retrofit SuDS and surface water management
- Learn about innovations emerging through good practice delivery
- Hear how existing infrastructure can be transformed through good practice
- Improve community engagement through lessons learned from case studies
- Hear about the challenges of integrated surface water management in Ukraine and input to potential solutions
- Earn valuable CPD
- Engineering consultants
- Architects and designers
- Urban designers
- Those involved in urban regeneration projects
- Landscape architects
- Local planning authorities
- Members of lead local flood authorities
- Drainage engineers
- Highway engineers
- Water companies
- Utility and infrastructure contractors
- Tier 1 and 2 contractors
- Professional bodies
- Local community groups involved in SuDS and surface water management
Wednesday 22 February 2023
13:30 – 15:30
13:30 Welcome and introduction
Chris Digman, Executive Technical Director, Stantec
13:40 Drivers for a green recovery
Dr Louise Walker, Senior Research Manager, CIRIA
14:00 Green recovery: The Mansfield Sustainable Flood Resilience Programme
Fay Bull, Regional Director, Water, Europe, AECOM
Adam Boucher, Operations Lead – Green Recovery, Severn Trent Water
14:20 Engaging with retrofit
Habib Khan, Director, Meristem Design
14:40 Panel discussion: UK challenges and opportunities
14:50 Green recovery for Khmelnytskyi, Ukraine
Pavlo Vezdenetskyi, Board Member, NGO "Rivers of Khmelnytskyi", Ukraine
15:10 Panel discussion: How can the UK SuDS community support
15:25 Closing remarks
susdrain partners and supporters Free to attend
CIRIA members Free to attend
Non-members Free to attend
Please sign in or create an account to register online for this event.
If you are experiencing issues registering online, please complete and return the booking form to Charlotte Draper.
Alternatively please contact us on 07933 181 765 or email our Customer Services team.
Joining instructions will be sent 10 days before the event. The link to attend the webinar is strictly personal and should not be shared.
Notice for new bookings from EU/EEA customers only.
CIRIA is currently unable to directly process your transaction if you are purchasing from the EU/EEA region. If you wish to book onto this event please email your request to [email protected] and we will respond in the first instance.
Terms and Conditions
Click here for details of our terms and conditions that will apply.
For further information on CIRIA membership and other services, please contact:
Telephone: 07933 181 765
Email: [email protected]