Introduction to Sustainability Champions guidance
Join this webinar to hear some of CIRIA’s Sustainability Champions share practical case studies illustrating how individuals and their organisations have addressed and implemented new sustainability transformation initiatives.
In 2021 CIRIA published Sustainability Champions (SP172F) which highlighted new approaches to early project lifecycle decisions resulting in a significant benefits in terms of circular economy principles, materials resource efficiency, waste management and net zero carbon. This case study compendium illustrated how an individual and/or teams facilitated and achieved a sustainability transformation addressing a particular challenge or opportunity, particularly one that has been replicated or become business as usual. The case studies provided the context for the challenges faced, evidence of quantifiable benefits, how individuals and/or teams catalysed the achievement and the lessons learned.
This webinar will showcase some of the Sustainability Champions from CIRIA’s guidance. The objectives are to:
- illustrate how individuals and their organisations have addressed and implemented new sustainability transformation initiatives.
- identify the lessons learned, particularly how the initiatives were initially developed, communicated and implemented more widely across the organisation and stakeholders.
- demonstrate good practice across a wide range of sectors and disciplines which include transport and coastal infrastructure, housing, facilities management, and resource management throughout the UK.
For more information about sponsorship opportunities, please contact Susan Richards.
Who should attend
- Enhance knowledge and understanding of new approaches to early project lifecycle decisions resulting in significant benefits in terms of circular economy principles, materials resource efficiency, waste management and net zero carbon.
- Learn from sector leaders about how they facilitated and achieved sustainability transformation addressing real life project challenges and making the solutions business as usual.
- Improve understanding of the quantifiable benefits associated with applying circular economy principles and working towards net zero carbon.
- Earn valuable CPD.
- Environmental managers
- Project managers
- Joint venture partner managers
- Facilities and managers
- Procurement professionals
- Research community
- Trade associations
Tuesday 17 May 2022
10:30 – 12:30 BST
Click here to view the full programme with more information about the case studies.
10:30 Welcome and introduction
Stephen Boyle, Programme Manager Construction, Zero Waste Scotland
10:45 Keynote address
Lee Rowley MP, Parliamentary Under Secretary of State, Minister for Industry,
Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy
Case studies from Sustainability Champions
11:00 Transfer of surplus “waste” soil between constructions sites
(A19/A184 Junction, South Tyneside, involving National Highways, Costain
Dean Kerwick-Chrisp, Sustainable Development and Design Principal,
11:20 Renovation using low carbon smart and resilient management
(The Chocolate Works, York)
Graeme Jones, Managing Director, C-Probe Systems Limited
Professor Pal Mangat, Senior Academic and Director of the Centre for
Infrastructure Management, Materials and Engineering Research Institute,
Sheffield Hallam University
11:40 Achieving sustainable outcomes through proactive stakeholder engagement
(Gumbasa Irrigation Project, Indonesia)
Dr Barnali Ghosh, Technical Principal (Seismic), Mott MacDonald
12:00 Interactive discussion and Q&A
12:25 Closing remarks
CIRIA members: Free to attend
Non-members: £45 + VAT
Please sign in or create an account to register online for this event.
If you are experiencing issues registering online, please complete and return the booking form to James Nguyen.
Alternatively please email [email protected]
Joining instructions will be sent 10 days before the event.
The link to attend the webinar is strictly personal and should not be shared.
Notice for new bookings from EU/EEA customers only.
CIRIA is currently unable to directly process your transaction if you are purchasing from the EU/EEA region. If you wish to book onto this event please email your request to [email protected] and we will respond in the first instance.
Terms and Conditions
Click here for details of our terms and conditions that will apply.
For further information on CIRIA membership and other services, please contact:
Email: [email protected]