Since 2019, the IGNITION project has explored how Greater Manchester can accelerate the delivery of urban nature-based solutions to build a climate resilient city-region. Supported by the Urban Innovations Actions Fund, the project brought together twelve partners from local government, universities, NGOs and business to develop pathways to accelerate public-private investment nature-based solutions.
One strand of the project focused on collaborative investment approaches to tackling urban surface water flooding by:
- Identifying hotspots for multi-partner investment in urban SuDS retrofit
- Piloting the development of an urban SuDS neighbourhood including:
- Developing conceptual SuDS designs
- Modelling potential benefits to receiving sewer networks and surface water flood risk
- Estimate of likely scheme costs
- Building a multi-partner business case
- Testing a replicable methodology for the adaptation of sewer models to represent SuDS.
This webinar, hosted by CIRIA's susdrain community, will present an overview of the IGNITION project and then provide a deep dive into the SuDS neighbourhood pilot focusing on the planning, modelling and impact evaluation of retrofit SuDS neighbourhood in Walkden, Salford.
- Understand the challenges, opportunities and guidance available to stakeholders looking to develop a robust business case for investment in nature-based solutions
- Learn about the IGNITION evidence repository of existing and emerging evidence on the performance and potential economic, environmental and social benefits and Living Lab at the University of Salford.
- Gain insight into developing SuDS retrofit solutions and business cases.
- Understand the options available for modelling SuDS benefits linked to stakeholder business case development.
- Earn valuable CPD.
Who should attend
- Local authorities
- Sewerage Undertakers
- Environmental regulators
- SuDS designers
- Environmental organisations
- susdrain partners and supporters
Wednesday 25 May 2022
11:00 – 12:30
11:00 Welcome and introduction
Dr Louise Walker, Senior Research Manager, CIRIA
11:05 IGNITION: Accelerating the delivery of urban nature-based solutions in Greater
Matt Ellis, Climate Resilience Lead, Environment Agency
11:15 Retrofit SuDS: planning, conceptual design and cost estimation
Phil Williams, Technical Director, The Environmental Protection Group
11:40 SuDS retrofit modelling methods and outcomes
Bridget Woods Ballard, Principal Engineer, HR Wallingford
12:05 Interactive discussion and Q&A
12:25 Closing remarks
susdrain partners and supporters Free to attend
CIRIA members Free to attend
Non-members Free to attend
Please sign in or create an account to register online for this event.
If you are experiencing issues registering online, please complete and return the booking form to James Nguyen.
Alternatively please email [email protected]
Joining instructions will be sent 10 days before the event.
The link to attend the webinar is strictly personal and should not be shared.
Notice for new bookings from EU/EEA customers only.
CIRIA is currently unable to directly process your transaction if you are purchasing from the EU/EEA region. If you wish to book onto this event please email your request to [email protected] and we will respond in the first instance.
Terms and Conditions
Click here for details of our terms and conditions that will apply.
For further information on CIRIA membership and other services, please contact:
Email: [email protected]