Asbestos is toxic and a class 1 carcinogen known to cause serious illnesses such as lung cancer, mesothelioma and asbestosis; and yet for many decades it was widely used in concrete, roofs etc. in the UK. Currently in the UK, about 5500 workers die of asbestos related disease every year. Poor disposal practices, demolition and other anthropogenic processes have resulted in asbestos often being present in the ground, particularly on brownfield sites.
Dealing with asbestos on site is a complex problem. Ground workers and site staff who are involved in drilling or other operations which disturb the ground or soil are often on the ‘first line of fire’ as they potentially contained asbestos.
This training course will highlight guidance in the new CIRIA report C765 Asbestos in soil and made ground good practice site guide and also help practitioners to assess and develop knowledge regarding hazard and risk posed by soil and ground on sites that contain asbestos contaminated materials and can be counted as ‘awareness training’ under CAR 2012.
This awareness course is aimed at workers operating on brownfield sites where there is potential for asbestos exposure: whether through site investigation, redevelopment of brownfield sites, or work on site where buildings have been demolished. The training is based on the requirements of Regulation 10 of the Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 for 'information, instruction and training' and the guidance in CIRIA report C765 ‘Asbestos in soil and made ground - good practice site guide’ and CARSoil 2016. The course is approved by the UK Asbestos Training Association (UKATA) and follows their Asbestos in Soils Awareness syllabus (A0145). Further training is required for operatives who will intentionally disturb asbestos affected soils as part of their work.
The event will provide practical guidance on how to deal with asbestos on site and explain:
- the properties of asbestos and its effects on health
- the types, uses and likely occurrence of asbestos and ACMs in soil
- the general procedures to be followed to deal with an emergency
- how to avoid the risks from asbestos from soil
- how to comply with Control of Asbestos Regulations 2012 and Construction Design and Management Regulations 2015 when dealing with asbestos on site
- how to decide whether the work is ‘Licensed and non-licensed’ and actions needed
09:00 Registration and refreshments
09:15 Asbestos Awareness Module
• Properties, risks & health effects of asbestos
• Types, uses and likely occurrences of asbestos & ACM’s
• How to avoid the risks from asbestos
12:30 15 question examination
13:30 Asbestos Awareness Soils Module
• Origins of asbestos in soils
• Identification of asbestos in soils
• Soil disturbance
• Remediation options
16:30 15 question examination
16:45 Summary & close
Who should attend?
- Ground workers
Wednesday 6th February 2019
09:15 - 16:45
LACL and BRMF members : free
Other attendees: £250 + VAT
Quay West at MediaCityUK,
Trafford Wharf Road,
If you are experiencing issues registering for this event online please contact us on
020 7549 3300 or email email@example.com.
Terms and Conditions
Click here for details of our terms and conditions that will apply.
For further information on CIRIA membership and other services, please contact:
Tel: 020 7549 3300
Fax: 020 7549 3349