CIRIA currently offers this course as online training.
Introduction to Contaminated Land - Detoxified!
This industry leading online training course will give you an excellent understanding of contaminated land legislation, liabilities and technical matters.
Packed full of authoritative guidance, this course offers flexibility and exceptional value for money and has been recently updated to 2014.
The Chancellor of the Exchequer, George Osborne recently announced that ‘councils should put local development orders on over 90% of brownfield sites
’. The National Planning Guidance Framework 2012 further emphases that planning authority will need to consider land contamination in planning permission. The subject has received increased attention, particularly since the revised Part 2A Statutory Guidance published in 2012. The document introduced 4 new categories in determining sites where risk may pose a significant possibility of significant harm (SPOSH). Furthermore, DEFRA 2014 reports on ‘Category 4’ values for 6 contaminants i.e. arsenic, benzene, benzo(a)pyrene, cadmium, chromium (VI) and lead, which has generated more debates (and even confusion) among some industry professionals.
While there are many training courses available, finding one to fit your schedule can be difficult. CIRIA developed the first authoritative contaminated land on line course in 2007 and is now updated to August 2014. This brings together:
- authoritative up-to-date guidance building on CIRIA’s extensive published guides
- a way of developing from a foundation-level to more advanced stage of understanding of brownfield and contaminated land legislation, liabilities and technical details
- a flexible approach to learning, so that you can learn at your own pace and at a time that suits you
- exceptional value for money – the equivalent of 35 hours study at a cost comparable with many courses / events.
Who should attend
This training course is essential for graduates and professionals who have limited experience in assessing and managing risk on brownfield sites. The course will also benefit experienced contaminated land professionals who are looking to update their knowledge.
Why should you attend?
After studying this course you will:
- have a good understanding of state-of-the art risk assessment and management approaches required when dealing with contaminated sites
- be able to improve the way that contaminated sites are assessed and remediated cost effectively
- understand current UK contaminated land related legislations, policies and good practice guidance
- recognise the correct approaches and techniques that will ensure you are compliant with current procedures
- access to current guidance including those published by CIRIA and other organisations e.g. VOCs, UXO, asbestos and C4SL
- gain 35 hours of CPD as recognised by ICE, CIOB, RICS, CIBSE, IStructE.
The course contains four modules:
- each module contains links to useful websites and contaminated land guidance publications that aim to expand your knowledge of the subject
- a quick test at the end of each module, and at the end of the course, to ensure you have achieved the desired results from your work.
- access the course anytime to suit you.
Find out more about the course modules
The training course was written and produced by CIRIA, ARCADIS (UK) Ltd and WYG.
£165+VAT for CIRIA Core member, LACL and BRMF members
How to book
£275+VAT for Non-member
Delegates who have subscribed to the course before 1 September 2014 will be offered a 40% discount.
There is an additional charge for any extensions to the course, up to a maximum of four weeks. See terms and conditions for more information.
Special rates are available when booking 50+ courses in one transaction. For more information contact Joanne Kwan: firstname.lastname@example.org.